About Tom Ling
I’m an experienced data analyst with a background in pharmaceutical and healthcare market research and consulting. I’m currently working in a permanent role as a data analyst for a cloud computing company in London. I also offer ad-hoc research, analysis and copyediting/proofreading services through my limited company, Capalytic. I have a record of success deploying analytics methodologies in Excel and Python using healthcare data assets.
My journey (so far)
- I was born in Malaysia but grew up in Scotland and Wales. At school my interests were oriented towards mathematics, science and information technology. I taught myself to write simple programs and games in MSWLogo during this period.
- In 2009 I graduated from the University of Cambridge as a preclinical medicine graduate. I went on to train in clinical medicine at St. George’s, University of London (SGUL). As a medical student, I was particularly technically focused; I kept my study notes in a personal wiki powered by the same software as Wikipedia. (To my knowledge I was the only medical student doing this at the time.)
- I left SGUL in 2013 to join Visiongain, a business intelligence provider, where I worked as a pharmaceutical industry analyst and then a senior analyst and consultant. In this role I wrote reports and forecasts for a range of pharmaceutical and medical devices markets.
- In 2015 I joined IMS Health as an Analyst and then Senior Analyst. I wrote market reports and forecasts of the markets for central nervous system therapies such as Alzheimer’s disease and multiple sclerosis.
- In 2017 I completed my BSc in Economics and Mathematical Sciences from the Open University.
- Also in 2017, I joined the Analytics Center of Excellence within IQVIA (the new parent company of IMS Health, following a merger between IMS Health and Quintiles). In my new role as Consultant, I designed and implemented the methodology used by the team to estimate the distribution of patient populations among UK hospitals, based on IQVIA data and external data sources. These analyses were used to speed up recruitment into clinical trials and contributed to over 330m USD in new business awarded to IQVIA.
- In 2019 I left IQVIA, taking a career break that combined travel, the founding of my contractor company, Capalytic; self-directed learning in data science tools and technologies; and the launch of several personal projects.
- In 2020 I joined Frontier Technology, a cloud computing provider in London, as a Data Analyst.
In my spare time:
- I’m teaching myself Data Science through my own curriculum of online courses recommended by David Venturi. This is expected to be equivalent to studying data science as a masters degree.
- I took a few improv (improvised comedy) classes with the Free Association, which have greatly improved my confidence in speaking and giving presentations.
- I also enjoy reading, running, board games, theatre, films and travel.
To discuss opportunities, visit the Capalytic website or find me on LinkedIn.